Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Murray Eden mentions Jerry

"I came (to MIT) just after the semester had started in the fall. I was met by Peter Elias and Claude Shannon at the Kendall Square Stop or at the faculty dining room, which was in the building that the Sloan school occupied on Memorial Drive, and we walked into the campus. Peter Elias, whom I had known for some time, had been a contributor to very early coding in information theory called block coding. One of these two guys asked, “I’ve got to talk to somebody who knows about electronics. Who should I talk to?” The other guy said, “Well, Jerry Lettvin, of course. Who else?” He wasn’t kidding. Jerry Lettvin was an incredible circuit designer. "
  • Murray Eden in an interview conducted by Frederik Nebeker, IEEE History Center, 10 November 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment